Tuesday, May 31, 2011

In and Settled

I got into the Belfast airport at 4:45pm last night/afternoon after an uneventful flight from Heathrow that I don't remember on the account that I passed out as soon as I got onto the plane. My flight from Chicago to Heathrow was good (The Green Hornet was a really funny movie), except I didn't sleep much, so by the time I was in Heathrow I was about to pass out. Anyway, I got a taxi through the lush countryside, with an awesome taxi driver who would say things like "oohh we've had a wee bit 'o shores today" (translation: we've had some rain showers today). I got to Queens University and thankfully they let me check into my room (which has it's own shower, AND towel service which I found out this morning when I was in said shower and a female voice was asking me through the door if I wanted to change them). The room is pretty spacious, and I spent last night getting my stuff packed away and strewn across the room. After that I decided  to take a walk around the area, and into the city a bit more. I walked down to the Student Union building and saw the main building of Queens University (which was drop dead gorgeous, so naturally I had left my camera in the room).  I spent most of my time walking down Malone street, glancing at kebab places (there were two about two blocks from each other) and finally settled on a "Spuds" restaurant where I got a cheeseburger to take back to the room. I passed out pretty early, but got up well rested and so far, having conquered jet lag.
Everyone else (except for Tony, we're not sure where he is) got in today at around 10am. I got my phone (# 07765324088) and I think we're going to Tesco to get groceries later today, and probably walk around the city a bit more. Our first day of classes start tomorrow, which I almost forgot about, but I guess are necessary.
So far, it looks like it's going to be a great time!
And I'll try to post pictures tonight,
Jon

1 comment:

Dave Getz said...

Sounds like you're doing an awful lot of passing out up there:) We miss you already back here, so have a great time, but hurry back!